Issue 156 of Socialist Appeal is out now. This months journal features:
- Editorial: Brown – Sitting on a Credit Crunch
- Students: What is a university degree worth?
- Trade Unions: Civil servants take further action and Anger over the 2% pay limit: Our winter of discontent?
- Economy: The Myth of a classless Britian and The Rocky Road to Ruin
- Hands off Venezuela: Freshers Fairs interventions and HoV National Conference
- Labour Conference: Toothless event won’t cushion Brown leadership
- Pages from our history: Cato street Conspiracy – part 2 and "Soldier of Discontent"
- Ireland: The Tragedy of Michael Collins
- Depleted Uranium: WMDs in Iraq
- Pakistan: Benazir and the Pakistan People’s Party
- Venezuela: Revolutionary organisation and leadership
- Che Guevara: Martyr and Revolutionary
Click here to take out a subscription to Socialist Appeal
Fight for Socialism!
Now that the nights are drawing in, it is time to start acting on the traditional pre-Xmas Fighting Fund drive. Of course, we all appreciate that Christmas seems months away – and, indeed, it is. But like all campaigns, the quicker we all get moving, the better it will be.
The point has been made before – many times in fact – but it is worth making again so we are all clear: our only source of finance is you. The national press relies on funding from big business and therefore reflects their interests. We rely on funding from ordinary people, trade unions and the Labour movement and therefore reflect your interests. It is almost a law of nature.
Needless to say given that we are a Marxist publication with a socialist message, there are very few – well none in fact – big business backers interested in dropping us a few bob along the way.
So your support is not only needed, it is absolutely essential. Every reader and seller should ask themselves three questions; how much can I give? Who else can I approach to give a donation? And finally, what can myself and others do to raise cash in an organised fashion. We are asking all our local sellers groups to ensure that the question of the Fighting Fund drive is raised at every discussion meeting between now and the end of the year.
Thanks to a splendid donation from some sellers in Essex, we are still on course to hit our 2007 target but now comes the most important period – let’s see if we can raise £5000 between now and the New Year. I am confident that, given the strength of our ideas, we can do it.
Donations can be made in a number of ways:
- By cheque to us at PO box 50525, Poplar, London E14 6WG (made payable to Socialist Appeal SC)
- Cheques and cash can also be paid over the counter at any Abbey branch, quoting account number K2018479SOC.
- Transcash payments can also be made at any Post Office into Alliance and Leicester account number 562 528 601, sort code 72 00 00, reference BBC.
- Readers who would like to make a regular standing order payment can do so by e-mailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you a standing order form.
- Credit card donations can be made by going to the Wellred bookshop site at wellred.marxist.com or by phone – simply ring our number and ask for me!
Which ever way you chose, we thank you in advance – with your help this campaign will be a great success and another step towards a socialist future.